Homemade Hot Chocolate
Homemade hot chocolate dates back to the Mayan period, when it was blended with corn meal, chiles and water. This homemade hot chocolate recipe will blow away any of those store bought packets and it comes together in a snap. Just beware — it’s very rich!
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup good quality Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings for garnish
- Heat milk, cream and sugar and whisk in a sauce pot over high heat until it almost reaches a boil.
- Next, add 1 cup good quality semi sweet chocolate chips to the hot chocolate.
- Whisk until melted.
- Next, add the pure vanilla extract.
- Pour the homemade hot chocolate into your favorite mug. Top with whipped cream and freshly grated chocolate.
- Tip: To make flavored hot chocolate, add 1 teaspoon of your favorite flavored syrup to the mix. You can also add a dash of cayenne pepper for a Mayan-style version.
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com