Healthy Orange Chicken
This tangy and healthy orange chicken recipe is famous in California, where you’ll find it on practically every Chinese menu. But why buy Panda Express Orange Chicken, when you can make it easily at home? I know the most popular recipe for orange chicken is fried, but I think it’s a lot tastier and healthier without the batter.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper flakes (use less if you don't like it spicy)
- 1 cup sliced green onions or scallions
- 1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Orange Sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Juice of 1 fresh orange (or about 3 tablespoons orange juice)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- Orange zest from 1 orange
- Cornstarch Slurry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix together ingredients for orange sauce. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a wok over high heat. Add minced ginger and garlic, stirring about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken to wok and cook. Next add the dried red chiles and chopped green onion. Saute again, then pour in the rice wine.
- Add orange sauce to wok and stir well. Make a slurry with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water until smooth.
- Add to wok and stir until sauce thickens.
- Before serving, stir in sesame oil and grated orange zest. Serve over steamed brown rice.
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com