If you’ve never tried grilling tomatoes, you’re missing out on one of my favorite BBQ recipes. Grilled tomatoes are delicious on everything from cooked pasta to salads and hamburgers. To grill tomatoes, all you need is a few simple ingredients: olive oil, fresh basil leaves, salt, pepper and aged balsamic vinegar. After marinating the cored, stemmed and seeded Roma tomatoes for roughly 1 hour, throw them on the grill for 10 minutes and experience the flavor explosion! This grilled tomato recipe is perfect on top of grilled chicken and grilled pizza, or my gourmet Juicy Lucy burgers. Try it out and let me know what you think! It’s one of my favorite vegetarian recipes!
- 4 roma tomatoes, cored and halved with seeds squeezed out
- 2/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or garlic-shallot puree)
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade mince
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Coat the tomatoes in the marinade. Marinate from 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill over high heat. Add the tomatoes, sliced side up. Close grill and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the grill.
- Serve on top of your favorite burger, over fresh pasta and grilled pizza, or tossed in an Alfredo sauce.
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com