Today I’m making a grilled shrimp taco recipe in honor of the summer grilling season. These healthy grilled shrimp tacos are great for a summer dinner party or barbecue. Feel free to add your favorite toppings, but fresh diced avocado, cilantro and the chipotle cream sauce are a must.
This grilled shrimp taco recipe makes approximately 8 tacos using four shrimp per taco. You can make the recipe go further by using only three shrimp per taco, or by cooking up more shrimp. There will be more than enough sauce to go around!
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 32 U30 shrimp raw, tail on
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic-shallot puree
- 3 teaspoons ground New Mexico Chili Powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain full fat yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sauce from canned chipotle in adobo
- Diced onion as desired
- Minced cilantro as desired
- Fried bacon slices crumbled, as desired
- Avocados sliced, as desired
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Mixed shredded Mexican cheese optional
- Sour cream optional
- Grilled Shrimp Taco Marinade: Marinate shrimp in the fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour max.
- Grilled Shrimp Taco Sauce: Mix together and keep chilled for topping tacos.
- Put marinated shrimp on pre-soaked wooden skewers. Grill a few minutes on each side. Wrap tortillas in foil and keep on top rack of BBQ to warm and soften.
- When ready to serve, place four shrimp per taco in each tortilla and top with diced onion, chopped cilantro, crumbled cooked bacon, sliced avocado and some of the sauce. Enjoy!