Grilled artichoke is one of my favorite summer recipes, and this version is sure to impress your guests. Although I put these on the grill for extra flavor and texture, you can just steam them inside the house year-round.
- 2-4 artichokes
- 1 lemon
- Melted butter
- Curried Dijon Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon good-quality curry powder
- Mix together the ingredients for the dipping sauce and refrigerate.
- Cut off the end of the stem on each artichoke. Remove some of the bottom leaves. With a paring knife, peel the outside of the stem.
- Cut the top portion of the artichoke with a sharp knife, which will remove most of the spines. You can nip the rest off with some kitchen shears.
- Artichoke oxides quickly, so spread some lemon juice on it to prevent browning.
- Turn upside down and cut each artichoke in half. Remove the fuzzy choke with a spoon. You can do this after cooking if desired.
- Steam or boil in hot water for 30-45 minutes. The leaves should peel off easily when they are done. Always keep an eye on your water level, or the artichokes can burn.
- Brush each half with melted butter.
- Preheat grill on high. Lay each artichoke down on its flat side for roughly 5 minutes, just enough time to get some grill marks.
- Remove from grill and serve with garlic aioli orchipotle mayonnaise. Don't forget to eat the heart and stem. It's the best part!
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com