German Sauerkraut Recipe
This German sauerkraut recipe, inspired by our visit to Old World Village Oktoberfest in Huntington Beach, is delicious served with sausages in toasted hot dog buns. The juniper berries may be hard to find, but they add a distinct flavor that really makes this dish!
- 32 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed and patted dry
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 strips diced bacon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed
- 1 cup Riesling wine
- 6 German bratwurst sausages, soaked in beer overnight
- Toasted French rolls
- German mustard
- Heat your slow cooker (or a large saucepot) on high.
- Place sauerkraut, apple sauce, caraway, and bay leaf in the Crock Pot.
- Preheat a pan over medium heat. Saute strips of bacon for one minute. Add diced onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed juniper berries, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add Riesling wine. Cook down for a couple minutes. While the wine is cooking, scrape the bottom of your pan with a wooden spoon.
- Pour sauerkraut mixture into your slow cooker. Cook on high heat for 1 1/2 hours. Or, cover, and finish cooking on the stove.
- Optional: To make the sausages, soak in beer overnight. Grill until cooked, then place the sausages in toasted French rolls with the sauerkraut and German mustard.
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com