Whenever my wife and I go to an Italian restaurant, she always orders the eggplant parmesan. (Some of her favorite places are Mamma D’s in Newport Beach and Maggiano’s Italian Kitchen at South Coast Plaza). In this video, I’ll show you how to make eggplant parmesan, one of our favorite fall recipes. My eggplant parmesan recipe is topped with an Italian pink sauce, or marinara sauce, for the ultimate hearty meal.
- 2 cups eggplant, sliced and salted
- 3 cups of Italian pink sauce (see my separate video recipe)
- 8 ounces of sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano, shredded
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Egg wash made up of 2 eggs whisked with 1/4 cup milk.
- Cut eggplant into slices and place on a wire rack. Salt the eggplant and wait for the moisture to draw out of the eggplant. Pad with a paper towel and remove the rest of the water.
- Add parmesan and oregano to the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Take a piece of eggplant, coat well on both sides with the flour. Drop into the egg wash and coat. Drop eggplant and coat into the bread crumbs.
- Preheat pan to medium high with oil to cover. When oil is nice and hot, drop the eggplant slices into the pan and brown each side, about 1 minute each side.
- After your second batch, you may need to add more oil to the frying pan.
- Grab a 9x13 casserole dish. Pour in 1/3 of the pink sauce. Layer the bottom with fried eggplant slices. Next, layer on the mozzarella cheese over each eggplant slice. Top with more sauce and repeat.
- Place in 375 F oven, uncovered, for 35 minutes.
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com