Today I’m putting my spin on Disneyland’s Totchos recipe, which we enjoyed a few years ago in the Hollywood Land section of California Adventure. This delicious dish was made with crisp fried tater tots, chili, jalapeños and a creamy cheese sauce.
When we got home, I had to make the recipe myself, dressed up with a Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce that also tastes great on soft pretzels and fresh made tortilla chips!
This recipe isn’t gourmet, but it’s definitely a crowd pleaser. Serve this as an appetizer at your next party for a fun spin on traditional nachos!
Disneyland’s Totchos (Loaded Tots with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce)
- 2 pounds tater tots baked or fried
- 5 cups turkey chili or store bought chili
- 4 green onions sliced
- Sour cream to your taste
- Chopped olives to your taste
- Chopped bacon to your taste
- Sliced nacho jalapeños to your taste
- Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce Recipe follows
Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6-12 ounces IPA or Pale Ale
- 1 cup half/half or whole milk
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups grated pepper jack cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make the Cheese Sauce
- Melt butter in a large pot or pan on medium heat. Whisk in flour and stir 1-2 minutes. Add beer and whisk another 4 minutes. Add half/half or milk, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until sauce thickens to your desired consistency. Next add, hot sauce, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and add shredded cheese in batches, stirring until melted. Service immediately.
Assemble the Tots
- To serve, place cooked tots on a plate, top with chili, cheese sauce and desired toppings. Enjoy!