Creamy Potato Cheese Soup Recipe
Steakhouses and country diners have been serving up creamy potato cheese soup for years, and it’s one of America’s favorite comfort foods. This creamy potato cheese soup recipe, which I learned while working in the restaurants, is dressed up with smoked gouda cheese. If you can’t find smoked gouda, Velveeta also works quite well, or you can experiment with other creamy, soft cheeses.
Creamy Potato Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) butter
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 6 small red potatoes, diced and reserved in cold water to prevent browning
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 diced celery stalks
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic-shallot puree (or 2 cloves garlic, crushed)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Turn stock pot on medium high.
- Melt butter in pot. Add celery, onion, carrots. Cook down until onions are translucent.
- Add basil and garlic-shallot puree. After 3 minutes, add potatoes and stir another 3 minutes.
- Carefully pour in 6 cups chicken broth. Boil for 20 minutes, then stir in a roux made from 4 tablespoons flour and 4 tablespoons butter.
- Wait a few minutes for the soup to thicken slightly. Add cream. Whisk and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Slowly stir in cheese and melt it down.
- After cheese is melted, pour into bowls and season with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com