Crab Salad Recipe
In this guest chef video, Craig Strong of Studio Laguna Beach shows how to make a melon and crab salad. This is one of the signature appetizers at Montage Resort in Laguna Beach, where Studio is located. The ingredients you’ll need for this crab salad recipe are Dungeness crab, egg yolks, lemon, vanilla bean, grape seed oil, cantaloupe, sherry vinegar, and salad greens.
- ½ pound Dungeness crab
- 2 egg yolks
- Juice ½ lemon
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped reserving seeds
- ½ cup grape seed oil
- 1 cantaloupe
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup grape seed oil
- 2 cups micro greens
- Mix egg yolks, lemon juice, and vanilla bean seeds in small mixing bowl. While whisking constantly drizzle oil to make mayonnaise. Mix with crab.
- Peel melon, cut into quarters and trim to make rectangle. Slice melon thinly using a Japanese mandolin. Place one teaspoon of crab salad on melon slice and roll. Use 4 rolls per person. Puree the scrap cuts of melon puree to use as a sauce for the plate.
- In a small sauce pan heat vinegar and honey. When warm, transfer to blender and while mixing, add oil slowly.
- Decorate the plate with sauce and toss the greens with vinaigrette. Then, place rolls in center of plate and top with greens.
By Executive Chef Craig Strong of Studio at Montage Laguna Beach
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com