Chocolate Haupia Pie
For this Chocolate Haupia Pie recipe, I traveled to the North Shore of Oahu to sample one of Hawaii’s greatest treats — the chocolate pie at Ted’s Bakery. This little market in Sunset Beach is a favorite hangout for locals — who can’t get enough of this tropical-inspired pie, topped with coconut haupia custard, plenty of whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
To make this recipe for Chocolate Haupia Pie, you’ll need a nice flaky baked pie crust. You can buy one at the store, or use my easy pie crust recipe. I personally think it’s the best chocolate pie ever!
- Cornstarch Slurry:
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup of water
- Coconut Haupia Recipe:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 14 ounces of coconut milk
- Chocolate Pie Filling:
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Whipped Cream Layer:
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- Crust :
- 1 baked 10-inch homemade pie crust (or use store-bought)
- To make this chocolate pie recipe, you'll need a nice flaky baked pie crust. You can buy one at the store, or use my easy pie crust recipe.
- In a measuring cup, mix 1/2 cup cornstarch into 1 cup of water and let it dissolve. This is your cornstarch slurry, which will thicken our Hawaiian haupia recipe.
- Over medium heat, bring 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup of sugar and 14 ounces of coconut milk to a boil. Reduce the heat on the milk to a simmer and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Now, we stir continuously until it thickens up.
- In a saucepan, melt 7 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in half of the coconut mixture.
- Top baked pie crust with the chocolate pie filling, then top with the reserved Hawaiian coconut haupia custard. Refrigerate this for one hour.
- Our final touch on this homemade chocolate pie is the whipped cream. Whisk this until stiff peaks form.
- Now, just layer the homemade whipped cream on this no bake chocolate pie, top it with fresh shaved chocolate shavings.
Recipe from Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com