Cajun Spring Rolls with Hoisin Cream
These Cajun Spring Rolls are served with a hoisin cream sauce. Photo by Veronica Hill.
Perched in the rolling green woodlands of Craughwell, County Galway, St. Cleran’s Georgian Manor House stands majestically beside the gently flowing Dunkellin River and a crumbling moss-covered castle ruin.
Once home to director John Huston and his actress-daughter Anjelica, this 18th century estate is now a charming bed and breakfast with 12 rooms named after its former inhabitants.
The manor’s executive chef, Hisashi Kumagai, treats guests to a daily dose of impressive dishes which combine Asian techniques with fresh Irish ingredients.
During our stay, Kumagai shared the recipe for his Cajun Spring Rolls with Hoisin Cream.
Cajun Spiced Guinea Fowl Spring Rolls with Hoisin Cream
- 4 guinea fowl breasts (or chicken), skinned and trimmed
- Cajun spice, as needed
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- VEGETABLE FILLING:
sesame seed oil, as needed
1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1 package beans sprouts (about 8 oz.), rinsed well
- 1 bunch green onions, cut into 2-inch lengthwise strips
- 1 leek stalk, well washed, cut into 2-inch lengthwise strips
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into strips
2 tablespoons Cajun spice
- 1/4 cup Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- HOISIN CREAM SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 sheets spring roll wrappers (10-inch square)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Preheat fat-fryer to 400 F.
- Season the guinea fowl breast with Cajun spice and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat grapeseed oil to high heat and sear the meat on both sides.
- Roast the meat in preheated oven for about 8 minutes, or until it is a little under cooked. Set aside.
- To prepare the vegetable filling: Place the wok over high heat and heat a few tablespoons of sesame seed oil; mix all the vegetables together and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Season with Cajun spice and soy sauce. Place the vegetables in a colander or sieve to drain the liquid. Cool them down and mix in a bowl with sesame seeds.
- To make hoisin cream: In the saucepan mix hoisin sauce, heavy cream and white wine together over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and blend well. Keep warm.
- To finish: Cut guinea fowl breasts into strips. Divide the meat and vegetables into 8 portions and wrap in spring roll wrappers. Make tight cylinder shapes.
- Deep fry in a preheated fat fryer for about 5 minutes, or until golden crisp. Place on the paper towel.
- To serve: Cut spring rolls into half (or whole if preferred), and pour hoisin cream sauce around the dish.
Recipe by Hisashi Kumagai
Shared on CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com