This breakfast casserole recipe can be made with any ingredients you like. It’s a great recipe that can be made overnight if you have guests coming over the next day. Photo by Veronica Hill.
This delicious breakfast casserole recipe is perfect for Christmas morning or on any other occasions when you’re feeding a crowd. By preparing it the night before, you can spend more time with your family and guests the next day. Feel free to modify this recipe for breakfast casserole with your favorite ingredients. I never make it the same twice!
- 1 lb. precooked Italian chicken sausage or 1 pound crumbled Jimmy Dean pork sausage
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms, sauteed and drained
- 5 whole eggs
- 2 cups milk or half and half
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 slices buttered sourdough bread, halved
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 7 ounce can green chiles or diced jalapenos
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3.8 ounce can sliced olives, optional
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard and salt.
- Place bread butter side down in casserole dish. Sprinkle bread with chopped sausage. Top next with the sauteed mushrooms.
- Layer on the green onions and green chiles. Finally, top with 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- Slowly pour the egg-milk mixture over casserole. Sprinkle with sliced olives.
- Cover and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next morning, bake for about 45 minutes in 350 F oven. Let sit about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe by Jason Hill / CookingSessions.com
Copyright 2014 CookingSessions.com